Wednesday 26 September 2012

Confessions of the deadly Sunday Lagos robbers



It was good news yesterday in Lagos as the Lagos State Police Command uncovered two buses used as armory by the armed robbers behind several robberies in Lagos and the neighboring states of Ogun, Kwara, Kogi and Edo, including the deadly Lagos robbery of two weeks ago, that left 7 dead.
The State Anti-Robbery Squad led by SP Abba Kyari and ASP Babagana Buka effected the arrest following a tip-off at Illemba area of the state.
The three arrested are Uche Okeagbu, Emmanuel Ezeani, and Chinonso Nwuangwu. Items recovered from the suspects include one rocket propel grenade launcher, 225 AK 47 magazines fully-loaded, over 10,000 rounds of AK 47 live ammunition, two general purpose machine guns, 260 rounds of GPMG live ammunition, five dynamite with detonator and nine AK 47 rifles.
The second-in-command to the kingpin who gave his name as Chinoso Nwanogugwu spoke with Vanguard and you can read that report below:
He further said they were the robbers who raided Lagos two Sundays ago during which some policemen were shot dead.  He said he was second in command for the notorious gang adding that the police was yet to arrest the kingpin who he identified as Chinwendu.
According to him, before any operation, they would have gone three days ahead to meet with residents of the state who would show them round and get them acquainted with escape routes in case of eventuality.
His words:
“My name is Chinonso Nwaogugwu. I am from Aba in Abia state.
“I  am 23 years old.  I could not further my education to secondary school  because of money so, I went to Port Harcourt, the capital of  Rivers state where I learnt how to buy and sell AGO and other allied products. One day, Uche called me  to say that there was a club he would want me to belong and in a short while, my sufferings would be over.  Later, I saw a man who introduced himself as Chiwendu; I was later told that he is the capon of the club.
“The following day, we went to Benin city where we robbed a bank and made big money.  I got N500,000 after the operation.  What we normally do is that,  three days before any operation, we would send advance party to go and survey the area as well as get any resident of that state who will take them round and get acquainted with the short cuts  in case the police are after us.   That had been our tricks for years now. Even during the Lagos robbery, that was the same tricks we employed and that was why we were able to shoot our ways to escape.
“This arrest could not have been possible if not that I took a puppy dog to Uche in his house and there, I met some policemen and Uche identified me as a member of their gang.  The fact is that, Uche had organized a different robbery against his landlord who is based in the UK and the police was investigating that when Uche mentioned that he belonged to a notorious gang and that I was equally a member.  That was how I was arrested.”

No comments: